12 Best Ways to Fix Gmail Slow on Your Computer
Are you experiencing slow usage of your Gmail account? Is a full load taking too long? Don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place for a solution.
In this reading, we have listed 12 ways to fix Gmail running slow on your PC. You can also learn how to review emails before sending them.
Best Ways to Fix Gmail Slow on PC
Clear browser cache and cookies
The first and most important step to fixing sluggish Gmail is to clear all of your browser’s cache and cookies. Follow the steps below to achieve the same.
1. Open your preferred web browser (eg Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.) and click on the three dots icon at the top right corner of the screen.
2. Click “Settings” in the list of available options.
3. Expand “Privacy and Security” on the left sidebar and click on “Clear browsing data”.
4. Next, click the “Clear data” button to remove all temporary cache files and cookies from your browser.
Test Gmail in Incognito/Private Browsing
Sometimes too many browser extensions and scripts slow down the normal operation of the browser.
To fix this problem, you can open your Gmail account in Incognito/Private Browsing mode for quick work. Follow the steps below to open incognito mode in a web browser.
1. Open a web browser and click the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
2. Next, click New incognito window to start private browsing in your browser. By default, all third-party extensions and scripts are disabled in this mode. Now you can try to access your Gmail account in this window to see if the issue is resolved.
3. Alternatively, you can press the key combination Ctrl+Shift+N to instantly launch incognito mode in the Google Chrome browser.
Check your internet connection
One of the most common reasons why Gmail is slow is having an unstable/slow internet connection.
To solve this problem, you must connect your computer to a stable and fast internet. Follow these simple steps to test your internet connection speed.
1. Open a new tab in your web browser and log in to Almost Site.
2. Wait a few seconds while the website checks and measures your internet connection speed.
3. An Internet connection speed of 10-15 Mbps is considered stable for all kinds of basic navigation and operation.
Temporarily launch Gmail with advanced settings disabled
Gmail also offers advanced settings for its users to help them customize their inbox. When these features are enabled, Gmail takes a little longer to fully load the page. To prevent this from happening, you can temporarily run it with advanced settings disabled.
1. Open a new tab in your web browser and click this link to launch Gmail with advanced settings disabled.
2. Check if the slowness issue is resolved.
Hide unwanted labels in Gmail
If you’ve set up multiple labels in your Gmail account to categorize different emails, it may take a little longer than usual for your inbox to fully load. As a result, you are more likely to experience lethargy when using it. To solve this problem, you need to collapse/hide unwanted labels in Gmail. Follow these steps for an easy fix.
1. Open a new tab in your web browser and sign in to your Gmail account.
2. Then tap the gear icon and click the “View All Settings” button to set up your Gmail account.
3. Click Labels and browse through the different labels available in your inbox.
4. To hide the label you want from your Gmail account, click the Hide button.
5. You can hide as many unwanted labels as you want to speed up Gmail.
Reduce the number of messages displayed in your inbox
Another fix to significantly speed up Gmail is to reduce the number of emails displayed in your inbox on a particular page. A lower number will help Gmail load faster without taking too much time. Follow these steps for an easy fix.
1. Open a new tab in your web browser and sign in with your preferred Gmail account.
2. Next, tap the gear icon and click the “View all settings” button to set it up.
3. Expand the “General” tab at the top and find the “Maximum page size” field. You can set the number to 10, 15, 20, 25, 50, or 100. However, lower numbers, such as 10 or 15, will help Gmail load faster.
4. Next, scroll down and click the Save Changes button to apply the changes.
Ping the Google Mail servers.
A ping test can easily help you identify connectivity issues between your system and the Gmail servers. Thus, with the help of ping test information, you can determine if Gmail is slow on your PC. Follow the steps below to find out about the same.
1. Open the Run window on your PC by pressing the Windows key + R at the same time.
2. Type cmd and press enter.
3. In the command prompt window, enter the following command:
ping -n 10 mail.google.com
4. After the command completes successfully, observe the results. If the loss is greater than 0%, it indicates a problem with the route between your PC and the Gmail servers.
5. Likewise, if the estimated round-trip time is greater than 50ms, this indicates a problem with the Internet connection.
Disable unnecessary browser extensions
If you have a lot of extensions installed on your browser, you are likely to experience slow Gmail as the browser takes a long time to load. Follow these simple steps to quickly disable browser extensions.
Disable chat feature in Gmail
With Google Chat, you can easily exchange business messages within the Google Workspace ecosystem. If you rarely use this feature, you can turn it off to make the Gmail service load faster. Follow these simple steps to turn off chat in Gmail.
1. Open your Gmail account settings by clicking the gear icon and clicking the “View all settings” button.
2. Then click on the Chat & Meetings feature to set it up.
3. Turn off the chat feature by deactivating the chat toggle. Click the Save Changes button to apply them.
Revert to default theme
Using personalized themes can often slow down Gmail. To prevent this from happening, you should revert to the default Gmail theme.
1. Open your Gmail account in a new tab and click the gear icon to open its settings.
2. Click the See All button in front of the Themes section.
3. Then scroll down to find the default Gmail theme and click on it. Then click the Save button to apply the changes.
Remove Connected Services from Google Account
Connecting various apps and services to your Google account can slow down Gmail. To avoid this problem, you need to remove all connected services from your Google account.
Bonus Tip: Disable Browser Checking on Gmail
When you open Gmail in your web browser, it first checks for compatibility to ensure the best user experience. However, this whole process can take a while, causing Gmail to load slowly. Luckily, you can turn it off by adding a ‘ nocheckbrowser flag ‘ to the end of your login URL.
Wrapping Up: Troubleshooting Gmail Issues
So, here are all the top ways to fix Gmail slow on your PC. If this reading has helped you improve your Gmail experience, please click the Like button and share this reading with your friends to help them. Stay tuned for more troubleshooting guides.