Texting from random numbers is annoying to say the least. But this SMS can also be a dangerous tool for malware. With our guide, you will learn how to block SMS on iPhone, stop spam and other fraudulent messages.
What is SMS Spam ?
SMS spam is an unsolicited message sent in bulk, usually over the internet or through an electronic messaging service.
On iPhone, these spam messages usually come as robotic texts sent from unknown numbers or by automated dialers. These SMS are usually sent to promote a product or service.
Those who send this spam SMS not only use this method. Spam emails filling our inbox and calls from unsolicited phone numbers can also be included in this method.
Most spam SMS are generally harmless and filtering them out is quite simple. However, although most spam SMS do not contain malware, some spam SMS can act as phishing agents to collect your personal data.
What to Do When SMS Spam Arrives
Don’t Open Link in Message
Never open a link in an SMS unless it comes from a trusted source. Spam messages can be phishing scams that try to entice you to click on links on pharming websites that steal your data or infect your device with adware or other malware.
Protect Your Personal Information
Authorized companies do not ask for your sensitive information such as address, account password or ID number via SMS.
For this reason, you must keep your personal data confidential. Otherwise, you run the risk of becoming a victim of identity theft.
Immediately report spam SMS messages requesting your personal data. Follow the methods below to block spam messages from anyone or any number calling your personal information.
Use the Spam SMS Blocking Feature on your iPhone
We have mentioned several ways of blocking iPhone SMS below. Among these features is the SMS blocking feature built into the iPhone. Make sure to enable this feature to prevent unwanted SMS messages.
How to Block SMS on iPhone
Block Incoming SMS From Unknown Numbers
You must be very tired of receiving SMS from unknown numbers on your iPhone. These SMS mostly come from illegal betting sites or trading companies.
The reason for this is that institutions that hold a lot of personal data, including your phone number, ‘sell’ this information to third parties.
Therefore, such SMS will always come, of course, until we apply the method which we will talk about shortly.
iPhone has a setting where you can block SMS from unknown numbers. You can achieve this by following these steps:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap Messages.
- Now enable the feature by tapping the slider next to Unknown Filters under the Message Filtering heading from the options that appear.
SMS received by this method are located in Filters > Unknown Senders . And you also don’t get notification for incoming SMS.
Blocking Incoming SMS from Certain Contacts
While SMS from unknown numbers annoys us the most, you may also want to block SMS from certain people. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the Messages thread and tap the name or number at the top.
- Then tap Info.
- Scroll down the screen and tap Block This Caller .
To view the numbers you have blocked on your iPhone, you can go to Settings > Messages > Blocked Contacts .
SMS blocking with e-Government
In addition to the above methods, you can also block unwanted SMS via e-Government. Other than that, this process is at least as effective as the one above.
To prevent unwanted SMS with e-Government, follow these steps:
- Visit the official e-Government page at the link below.
- Click on e-Services on the main screen.
- This time, click Telecommunications .
- Then, scroll down the screen and click on the Commercial Electronic Message Management Systems section .
- Now in the top right corner, click on Add New Contact Address with a (+) sign on the left.
- At the bottom I have read, understand and agree with the text above. Fill in the box next to the section it says.
- Then select Phone Number as the address Type Contact Address .
- Assign any contact name address to the space below and enter your phone number.
- Then click Continue and enter the SMS password sent to your phone and save your phone.
- From here, you will see a list of companies that you have given permission to SMS to your phone with the ‘ manage consent’ option.
- Finally, you can cancel sending SMS from the company you want.
While it will take some action, it’s a good idea to make sure that unwanted SMS is blocked.
Block SMS App on iPhone
In addition to the above methods, you can also take advantage of the SMS blocking application on the iPhone with the application. There is a very successful SMS blocking app for iPhone and Android phones.
We recommend the following apps for iPhone:
For Android, you can take a look at these apps:
You can block or filter unwanted SMS messages by downloading the app to your phone for free and following the instructions that appear on the screen.