How To Fix Update Error 0x80070103 On Windows 10
How To Fix Update Error 0x80070103 On Windows 10 – You need to update the operating system and its components to eliminate various errors and shortcomings, and thus eliminate performance problems.
It is recommended that you update your computer frequently to avoid operating system and .NET framework vulnerabilities, driver incompatibilities, and security threats.
Few drivers are updated automatically, while others require manual updating. Several users reported error code 0x80070103 while installing multiple updates.
This error code is most commonly reported on the Windows Update screen, but it also occurs when you confirm a Windows Update prompt and install a particular driver on your device. Here’s how to fix the
How to Fix Update Error 0x80070103 on Windows 10
You can manually update pending downloads from official Windows Update sites . In this section, Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and confirmed that error 0x80070103 occurs for two reasons.
Microsoft said that if you see Windows Update error 80070103 when installing updates, you may be trying to install a driver that is already installed on your computer or has a compatibility rating lower than the one already installed.
What causes error 0x80070103?
This section has compiled a list of scenarios where you will typically encounter this error under certain circumstances.
This part is necessary to understand the root cause of the problem so that you can follow the appropriate troubleshooting methods.
- Installing update for the second time: When Windows Update (WU) components are mistaken for an installed plug-in, your computer announces that it is a second software and fails to update demand, which causes this problem.
- Installing the same update for an already installed driver: When Windows Update (WU) components attempt to install an incompatible version of an already installed driver, you will encounter this problem.
- Third-Party Interference: When a third-party security suite or any incompatible software interferes with your computer, you will encounter this problem.
Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Before trying anything else, an easy way to fix the problem automatically is to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. If there are any inconsistent functionality in Windows Update components, the troubleshooter will identify and resolve them based on the set of repair strategies.
1. Click Windows key + I at the same time to run Settings.
2. Click the Update & Security box , as shown.
3. Navigate to the “find errors and fix them” list in the right pane.
4. Select Windows Update Troubleshooter and click on the “Run the troubleshooter” button described below.
5. Wait for the troubleshooter to find and fix the problem. Once the process is complete, Restart Computer .
Method 2: Repair system files
The main reason behind this error is the corruption of system files. Windows 10 users can automatically check and repair system files by running System File Checker and Deployment Services and Image Management Tools . Therefore, follow the steps mentioned below to do so:
1. Click Windows key , type Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.
2. Click “Yes” at a User Account Control prompt.
3. Type the command chkdskC:/f/r/x and press Enter key.
NOTE: If you are prompted with a Chkdsk cannot run…the volume…is in use message, then type Y and press Enter.
4. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter key to Run System File Checker Check .
NOTE: The system scan starts and takes two minutes. In the meantime, you can continue to perform other activities but be careful not to close the window by mistake.
5. When the scan is complete, you will see one of these messages:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
- Windows Resource Protection successfully found and repaired the corrupted files.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but could not repair some of them.
6. When the exam is complete, Restart the computer .
7. Again, turn on Command Prompt as Administrator Run the given commands one by one:
dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
NOTE: You must have a working internet connection to properly run DISM commands.
Method 1: Run a virus scan
Sometimes Windows Defender fails to recognize the threat when a virus or malware uses system files. Malware or viruses aim to damage a user’s system, steal private data, or spy on a system without the user’s knowledge.
Few anti-malware programs are available to fight malware. This program regularly scans and protects your system. So, to avoid error 0x80070103, run an antivirus scan on your system and check if the issue is resolved. After that, follow the steps mentioned below to do so.
1. Click Windows key + I at the same time to run Settings.
2. Here, click on Update & security settings as shown.
3. Go to Windows Security in the right pane.
4. Click on Virus & Threat Protection option in the right pane.
5. Click Quick Scan button. To search Malware .
6 un. Once the scan is complete, it will Show all threats . Click start action Among Current Threats.
6b. If there are no threats in your device, the device will display a No Current Threats alert.
Read Also: How to uninstall Microsoft Edge from Windows 10
Method 1: Update Drivers Manually
You can try to install the drivers manually to get out of Windows update error code 0x80070103 as shown below.
1. Click Start and type Device Manager and press Enter key .
2. Double-click Display Adapters to expand it.
3. Now right click video card driver and select Update Driver , as shown.
4. After that, click Search Automatically About Drivers to install updated driver software on your computer.
5 un. Drivers will be updated to the latest version if not updated. Restart the computer to install it.
5b. If they are already in an updated stage, the following screen will appear. Click Close on the window and restart the computer
6. Here the graphics driver update steps are explained. Also follow them based on other drivers.Also Read: How To Set Up and Use iCloud Photos on Windows 10
Method XNUMX: Update Windows manually
If you make sure that there are no corrupt files or malware on your computer and that all essential services are working properly, you can download updates manually as shown below:
1. Click Windows key + I together to open Settings in your system.
2. Select Update & Security as shown.
3. Now click on the “View Update History” option , as shown below.
4. In the list note a number KB Download suspended due to the error message.
5. Here, type KB number in Microsoft Update Catalog search bar as shown below.
6. Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the update manually.
Method 6: Change Windows Update Service
On some occasions, the update may fail and some files may be lost. Then you need to delete or rename these installer files to fix this issue. The update service must be disabled to modify these files as they will be running in the background. Follow these steps to do so:
1. Open the “operation” dialog box and type services.msc. Click on the Enter key to Run Services window.
2. Now scroll down the screen and right-click Windows Update .
3. Here, click on “shut down” If the current status appears, it is running.
4. You will get a prompt, try Windows Stop the following service on local computer… Wait for the prompt to disappear in about 3-5 seconds.
5. Run File Explorer by clicking Windows Key + E together and go to the given path:
C: \ Windows \ Software \ Datastore
6. Select All Files and Folders Click Ctrl + A Together
7. Right click on the empty space and select Delete option to remove All files and folders from DataStore .
8. Then go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete All files as well.
9. Go back to Services window and right click Windows Update and select Start option as shown below.
10. As before, Wait while Windows tries to start the following service on the local computer… The claim disappears.
11. Close Services window → Restart computer .
Method 1: Reset Update Components
The net results of this method include:
- Restart the BITS, MSI Installer, Cryptographic and Windows Update services.
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders.
This should fix update error 0x80070103 on Windows 10.
1. Run Command Prompt as administrator .
arrêt net wuauserv net stop cryptSvc bits d'arrêt net net stop msiserver ren C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C: \ Windows \ System32 \ catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc bits de départ net net start msiserver
Method 8: Disable Startup Services and Applications
Issues with error code 0x80070103 can be resolved by clean booting all essential services and files on your Windows 10 as explained in this method.
NOTE: Make sure you are logged in as an administrator to perform a clean boot of Windows.
1. Launch the “operation” dialog box Click Windows Keys + R. Together
2. Type msconfig and press Enter key to open system configuration.
3. The System Configuration window appears. After that, switch to the Services tab.
4. Check the box next to Hide all Microsoft.services , and click on the “Disable all” button as shown.
5. Now switch to Startup tab and click on “Open Task Manager” link as shown below.
6. Now a window will appear Task Manager . Select Startup Not Required Tasks and click Disable displayed in the lower right corner.
7. Output window “task management” و “System configuration” . Finally, restart the computer.
Read Also: How to split the screen in Windows 10
Method 1: Disable Automatic Updates
The automatic update feature will keep your computer up to date with the latest version whenever an update is available. If you encounter this error code 0x80070103 due to automatic updates, you can try disabling Automatic Updates as follows:
1. Press and hold Windows key + I together to open Settings.
2. Now select Update & Security as shown.
3. Now click “Advanced Options” in the right pane as below screenshot shown.
4. In the next window, scroll down to Pause updates section and click on Set date as shown option.
5. Now choose the date when updates will be disabled.
Method 1: Block Windows Driver Updates
You can prevent error code 0x80070103 on your PC by preventing your PC from reinstalling driver updates. Please note that this method will block all available updates for any driver, not just one. Follow the steps below to hide Windows driver updates on your PC.
1. Click on Windows key and type لوحة التحكم in Search bar .
2. Now set Display by option to Small Icons and click System Setting as shown.
3. Here, scroll down the screen and tap on Advanced system settings as shown.
4. Then switch to Hardware tab in the “System Properties” pop-up window. click on the Installation Settings button of the described device.
5. Then click on the “No” (Your device may not work as expected) option as shown and click on the “Save Changes” button .
6. Finally, restart the computer and check if you have solved the problem.
Read Also: How to Convert WOFF to TTF Format in Windows 10/11
Method 11: Uninstall Suspicious Apps in Safe Mode
Start your computer in safe mode and try to install applications that may be causing this error.
NOTE: To start your computer in safe mode, you may be prompted to enter your BitLocker key if you have an encrypted device.
1. Follow our guide on How to Boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10 here .
2. Now press Windows key , type Apps and features, and click open.
3. Click Conflicting/Suspicious Application (e.g. Battle.net) and select Uninstall option , as shown below.
4. Click “uninstall” again to confirm it.
5. Finally, Restart the computer and check if the error code is present or not. If so, try the next solution.
We hope you found this guide helpful and you were able to fix update error 0x80070103 on Windows 10. Tell us what you want to know next.