How To Uninstall Apps on Mac – We all know that getting rid of apps can free up space on your Mac. But it might not be as easy as you think to get rid of an app you don’t want.
Did you know that files for an app are kept in different folders? So, how do you get rid of an app from your Mac FOR GOOD? Keep reading and we’ll tell you 4 easy ways to do that.
The macOS doesn’t have a built-in way to uninstall programs, which could make it hard to get rid of them. For a full uninstall, you need to get rid of not only the app but also all of its logs, caches, and other leftovers that are stored in hidden folders on your Mac.
This article tells you how to uninstall programs from your Mac in every way possible.
How To Uninstall Apps on Mac with Launchpad
Launchpad lets you get rid of apps that you downloaded from the Apple Store.
This is how:
- In the Dock, click the Launchpad icon.
- Find the app that you want to uninstall.
- Click and hold the app you don’t want until the icon of the app starts to shake.
- Click the X in the top left corner of the app icon to uninstall it from your Mac.
How to uninstall apps on a Mac using the Trash
One of the easiest ways to uninstall an app from your Mac is to drag it from the Applications folder to the Trash in your Dock. Then, right-click the Trash icon and choose “Empty Trash.”
- On your Mac, open a new Finder window. Click the half-gray, half-blue face icon in your Dock to do this.
- Then click Applications on the left side of the screen. You can also open the Applications folder by pressing Command, Shift, and A at the same time on your keyboard.
- Then, click and drag an app on top of the Trash icon in your Dock.
- The last step is to right-click the trash can and choose “Empty Trash.” If you are using a trackpad, press the Control key and click on the Trash icon at the same time.
How to Use Finder to uninstall Apps from a MacBook
You can use Finder to uninstall apps you downloaded from the internet. For macOS Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, and Mojave, the process is the same.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Quit the app you want to uninstall.
2. Click Applications in the sidebar of Finder.
3. Find the app you want to get rid of, right-click its icon, and select “Move to Trash.”
4. Select Go to Folder from the Finder’s Go menu.
5. Go through each of the following folders one by one to get rid of all the app’s files.
~/Library/Saved Application State
6. Get rid of the trash.
How to Use the Built-In Uninstaller to Get Rid of Apps on a MacBook
Some apps you download from the Internet have their own way to get rid of them. The built-in uninstaller for an app is easy to find in the Finder or in the app’s preferences.
To remove something, all you have to do is find the uninstaller and click on it.
How To Uninstall Apps on Mac with CleanMyMac X
Deleting apps is a pretty tiresome task. So, I used CleanMyMac X to find a faster and easier way to do it. Its Uninstaller module helps you get rid of multiple apps at once. What you have to do is:
- You can get CleanMyMac X for free and open it (it takes less than a minute).
- Click on Uninstaller.
- Pick All of the Applications.
- Click Uninstall after checking the boxes next to the apps you want to get rid of.
CleanMyMac X shows exactly how much space each app uses, making it easier to find the ones that take up the most space. And you don’t have to do anything by hand!
How to uninstall App Store programs
To manually get rid of apps you’ve downloaded from the App Store, you need to do the following:
- In Finder, open the folder called “Application.”
- Choose the program you don’t need and drag and drop it into the Bin.
- Choose “Go” from the menu bar.
- Keep the Option key pressed down and choose the /Library option.
- Open the folder called Containers in Library.
- Delete the service folder for the app you just took off. To find it, you need to know the bundle ID of the program that you deleted.
- Clean out your trash can.
As you can see, it’s much easier to get rid of apps downloaded from the App Store than any other kind of app.