PS Remote Play lets you play PlayStation games on your PC with the PS5 controller. More PC games and gaming platforms support DualSense controller every day. And the PS5 controller also works on iPhones , iPads and Android devices.
This tutorial covers using a PS5 controller on your Mac or PC. Turn off the PS5 controller before connecting a controller to your computer.
Press and hold the PlayStation (PS) button until the controller’s indicator light or status light turns off. Once this is done, you can connect the controller to your computer with a USB cable or wirelessly.
USB Wired Connection
For a wired USB connection, use the Type-A to Type-C cable included in the PS5 package. If you can’t find the included cable, a third-party USB cable supports power transfer and data sync. If you use Windows or a “charge-only” cable, macOS won’t detect your PS5 DualSense controller.
For it to work, all you have to do is plug the cable’s USB-A connector into your PC and plug the USB-C connector into the DualSense controller’s USB-C port.
Note: For PCs and MacBooks without a USB Type-A port, use a USB-C to USB-C cable. Plug one end of the cable into your Mac or PC and the other end into the controller.
Wirelessly Connect PS5 DualSense Controller
Remember to turn off or disconnect your controller from other devices before pairing it with your computer. Press and hold the PS button on the controller until the indicator light turns off. This disconnects the controller from other Bluetooth devices and makes it available for pairing with a new device.
Connecting a PS5 Controller to a Windows PC
Using a PS5 DualSense controller on a Windows 10 or Windows 11 computer, follow the steps below.
- On Windows 11, open your PC’s Settings app (press Windows key + I). Select Bluetooth & devices in the sidebar and then Add device on the right.
On Windows 10, go to Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices and select Add Bluetooth or other devices.
- Select Bluetooth.
- The next step is to put your controller into pairing mode. Press and hold the Playstation button and the Build button for about 5 seconds. Release both buttons when the controller’s indicator light flashes twice.
- Select Wireless Controller on your PC.
- Wait for your PC to connect to the controller. When you see the “Your device is ready to use” message, select Done to close the window.
Your controller should show as “Connected” in the Bluetooth settings menu. You can now use the controller with Steam games and other compatible programs.
Connect a PS5 Controller to Mac
- Go to System Preferences > Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is turned on. Select the Turn On Bluetooth button to enable the Bluetooth feature of your Mac.
- Press and hold the PS button and the Create button on your PS5 controller until the indicator light flashes twice intermittently. This puts the controller into pairing mode.
- Your Mac should detect a “DualSense Wireless Controller” in the Bluetooth settings menu. Select the Connect button to continue.
unlike Windows, macOS correctly recognizes the PS5 controller and labels it as “DualSense Wireless Controller”.
- Select Options to customize the functionality of some buttons on the DualSense controller.
By default, pressing the Home (PS) button on the controller opens your Mac’s Launchpad.
- You can configure macOS to open the floating app switcher when you long-press your controller’s Home (PS) button. To do this, open the “Home Long Press” drop-down menu and select LaunchPad.
The “Share” or “Create” button can also be customized. During gameplay, you can start recording your screen or capture “highlights” by double-pressing or long-pressing the Share button. Capturing a highlight saves the last 15 seconds of the game.
- Expand the “Share Double Press” or “Share Long Press” menu and select Start/Stop Recording or Capture Highlight.
- Select Record Screen at the confirmation prompt.
Note: Capturing highlights with the DualSense controller can reduce game speed and performance.
- Select Done to save the customizations.
Set Up and Use the PS5 Controller on Your Computer
Your computer and compatible apps should immediately detect a PS5 DualSense controller connected via cable or wireless. Depending on the application or computer games you are playing, you may need to enable application-specific settings.
In Steam , for example, enabling “PlayStation Configuration Support” allows you to take advantage of all the features of the DualSense controller.
- Connect the controller to your computer and open Steam’s settings.
- Go to the “Controller” tab in the left sidebar and select General Controller Settings.
- Make sure your PlayStation 5 Controller appears in the “Detected Remote” section. Select the PlayStation Configuration Support checkbox and close the controller settings window.
You must also select the General Gamepad Configuration Support checkbox. This can help your PS5 controller work properly if Steam’s PlayStation Configuration Support fails.
In Remote Play, you will see the battery level of your remote in the lower right corner of the screen.
If your PS5 controller is not working in a particular game, contact the game developer for support.
PS5 Controller Not Connecting or Not Working on PC or Mac? Try These Fixes
Your computer may not recognize a PS5 Controller for many reasons. The following troubleshooting suggestions should resolve the issue(s).
1. Try a Different Port or Cable
If you are connecting your controller using a cable, make sure it is the original cable from the PS5 package. If you use a fake or fake cable, your computer may not detect the DualSense controller. Use an original cable that supports both data synchronization and power transmission.
USB port problems can also prevent PS5 controllers from connecting to your computer. If the controller does not work on a particular port, try a different port on your computer. We also recommend plugging the controller directly into your computer. When using a USB adapter, make sure the accessory supports data synchronization and power transfer.
2. Update Controller
Updating your controller to the latest firmware can resolve connectivity and performance issues.
If you are using a Windows PC, update using the PS5 controller. Firmware updater application for DualSense wireless controller . Install the application on your computer and connect the controller using a cable.
The app will automatically download and install any firmware updates available for your controller. Make sure your computer has an internet connection.
You can also update your controller from PS5 console . Open your PS5’s settings menu, go to Accessories > Controllers and select Wireless Controller Firmware.
3. Restart the computer
Restart your computer if your controller firmware is up to date, but it won’t connect or work while playing compatible games.
4. Reset Controller to Factory Settings
If the problem persists, restore your PS5 DualSense controller’s settings to their factory defaults. Disconnect or unplug the controller from your console or other devices before performing a factory reset. You should also turn off your console.
Locate a small, circular hole on the back of the controller. Inside the hole is the DualSense controller’s reset button. Insert a pin or paper clip into the hole and press the reset button for 3-5 seconds.
Turn on the controller, connect it to your computer and check if it works fine now.
Enjoy Console-Like Gaming on Your PC
Connecting the PS5 DualSense controller to a computer Windows or Mac computer is easy. If you still have problems using the controller, update your computer’s operating system. Visit PlayStation Service Repair Center if your DualSense controller is not connecting to your console or computer or is not working.