Instagram has a feature that allows you to find people with the help of a phone number or username. However, to stay private, you may not want people to find your account on Instagram using your phone number.
You can easily be found on Instagram when your phone number is in someone else’s contacts. Also, if your phone number is in their contact list, your profile will also be shown to users as ‘recommended for you’.
You can easily remove your phone number from Instagram to hide it from users who are in its contacts. That’s why we’ve prepared a little guide you can follow to delete your phone number from Instagram.
Instagram Phone Number Deletion Methods
How to Delete Instagram Phone Number – Mobile
Before we talk about how to remove your phone number from your Instagram account, you should know that when you unlink your phone number from your Instagram account, you will not be able to find Instagram contacts from your contact list.
Also, if you forget your password, you cannot retrieve it using your phone number. So before proceeding with the method, make sure to add an email address in case you forget your password. Follow this method to unlink your phone number from your Instagram account:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Tap the profile icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap Edit Profile under the Bio section .
- Under Edit Profile, scroll down and tap Personal Information Settings .
- Add an email address if you haven’t already done so in Personal Information Settings. After adding an email address, tap the mobile number and remove it.
- Tap Next to save the changes .
After these steps, you will have removed your phone number from Instagram.
How to Delete Instagram Phone Number – Computer
If you are using Instagram on your desktop or laptop computer, you can follow the steps below to remove the phone number:
- Open your web browser and log into your Instagram account.
- After logging into your account, click on the profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Now, select the Profile section from the drop-down menu .
- Click on Edit Profile at the top .
- Scroll down and click the phone number box. Then delete your phone number from the text box.
- Click the Submit button after removing the number .
As soon as you click the submit button, Instagram will unlink your phone number from your account.
Bonus: Disconnect with People on Instagram
Finally, you can activate the Contacts Sync feature on Instagram to find your friends who have integrated their numbers into the platform. But if you no longer want to sync your contacts with Instagram, you can turn this feature off.
Here are the steps you need to follow for this:
- Open the Instagram app and tap the profile icon in the lower right corner.
- Then tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner.
- Now go to Settings > Account order.
- Tap the Contacts Sync feature from the options that appear.
- Tap on the slider if it is active and disable the feature.
Why Can’t I Delete My Phone Number From Instagram?
If you cannot remove your phone number with the mobile app, you can try to remove it from the web version. Some glitches in the Phone app may prevent you from completing this process.
So go to your profile section by opening Instagram on your desktop or laptop computer and clicking on your profile icon. In your profile section, click Edit Profile and follow the instructions we outlined above to remove your phone number.
We hope that the guide we prepared helped you and that you were able to remove your phone number from Instagram. If you continue to have any problems, you can let us know in the comment section.
- How to Fix Instagram Location Story Not Appearing
- 8 Ways to Overcome Instagram Can’t Video Call
- How to Report and Recover a Stolen Instagram Account